My family had an estate sale midsummer, and with summer coming to an end, it seems a good time to post these photos.
Saying goodbye, not only to a season, but to possessions, family property, an entire era -and sorting through the memories and emotions that get tangled up in the tangible.
Wish I had captured a photo of the old Story & Clark upright piano that I played (but mostly tortured) as a child, along with the rest of my siblings. I told a guy he could have it for a song. He said he really wanted to learn to play, so we ended up giving it to him for the mere promise of one. It was either that or catapulting it off a local mountain top.

7 comments:
This looks so beautiful!
i am dying over this.
an amazing journey, i'm sure.
Lovely photos!
A piano for the promise of a song--now that sounds like a song title itself! Maybe a Tom Waits song.
That's an estate sale I would have liked to have gone to! Humor, pathos, and nostalgia all rolled into one beautiful tangle of objects and treasures. I know what you mean about selling off the family's belongings. We are in the process of doing a lot of this, too, and it's not easy.
Your photos are truly wonderful. xo Gigi
Beautiful.
I have a book and a hand made doll that my Mom brought for me from your homestead after your Mom passed. I treasure them both.
How lovely! It will be 7 years, Dec. 27th since she left this world... Hope she's having some wonderful adventures, wherever she is! xo, G
Post a Comment